Source: Revised GRE PDF 1st Ed. Section 3: Verbal; #7 (p. 52)

Room acoustics design criteria are determined according to

Room acoustics design criteria are determined according to the room’s intended use. Music, for example, is best (i) in spaces that are reverberant, a condition that generally makes speech less (ii) . Acoustics suitable for both speech and music can sometimes be created in the same space, although the result is never perfect, each having to be (iii) to some extent. Blank (i): controlled, appreciated, employed Blank (ii): abrasive, intelligible, ubiquitous Blank (iii): compromised, eliminated, considered

2 Explanations

Gravatar Hannah Baker, Magoosh Tutor

Hi Selena,
"Employ" means "to use", but in this sentence we are not talking about uses of music. Rather, we are talking about the types of rooms in which music sounds the best. So we would say that music is either best played or best listened to in reverberant spaces. We don't have a synonym for "played" (you wouldn't say "I'm using music" if you turned the radio on) but we do have a synonym for "listened to": "enjoyed". I hope this helps!

Nov 2, 2015 • Comment

Mihir Gada

The general connotation in the sentence is quite flat. Room acoustics..DESIGNED..according to room's INTENDED USE. It does not say anything about how ones feels post playing the music. I see it as - Music is best played/deployed/executed/employed in spaces that are reverberant. If we see the parallel continuation about speech, it says that it makes speech less INTELLIGIBLE/COMPREHENSIBLE, as against less ENJOYABLE.

Nov 17, 2015

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Sep 25, 2012 • Comment

Selena Zheng

Can you explain why "employed" does not work in the 1st blank?

Sep 15, 2015

Adam Lozier, Magoosh Tutor

Hi Mihir,

In fact, this sentence isn't referring to how someone feels during or after playing music. Rather, it's talking about what kinds of rooms are best for music to be heard in.

As Hannah noted, we are not talking about how music is "employed" or "used" -- this choice doesn't make sense here. We're talking about spaces in which music is best heard.

To "appreciate" something doesn't just mean to "enjoy" it -- it also means "to fully understand something." So, here we're saying that music is best understood in reverberant rooms. In contrast, speech is not understood very well in this type of room.

Nov 19, 2015

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh