Source: Revised GRE PDF 2nd Ed. Section 4; #4 (p. 64)

Television promotes (i) ________ of emotion in viewers

Television promotes (i) ________ of emotion in viewers through an unnatural evocation, every five minutes, of different and (ii) _______ feelings. Blank (i): a withdrawal, an obscuring, a discontinuity Blank (ii): incompatible, sympathetic, interminable

3 Explanations

Kajal Dalvi

Can you please explain why 'withdrawal' won't work for first blank. Since first sentence also mentions about evocation.

Aug 17, 2017 • Comment

Adam

Hi Kajal! "Withdrawal" isn't the best choice for the first blank because nothing in the sentence indicates that people stop feeling emotions. In fact, the TV "evokes" feelings, so we know that the opposite is true people are feeling emotions.

Aug 21, 2017 • Reply

Darnell Billups

Look at second blank first and tie it to "different and". That makes you pick incompatible. it's hard to put a good guess word on the first blank, so I just had a general idea of what it should be. I know there is the "every five minutes" later in the sentence along with different and incompatible. that makes me believe that blank needs to be something that talks about stopping and going or feeling like everything is ok and then it's not; that is discontinuity.

Oct 24, 2016 • Comment

Sam Kinsman, Magoosh Tutor

Good job reasoning this one out!

Oct 26, 2016 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Sep 22, 2012 • Comment

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh