Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 2nd Ed. Part 9; Section 4; #7

Repression of painful memories is sometimes called

Repression of painful memories is sometimes called “willed forgetting.” Yet true forgetting is (i) than the phenomenon of repressed memory. In spite of the effort that it (ii), repressing unwanted memories is less (iii) than truly forgetting them, for repressed memories are prone to come back. Blank (i): less controlled, different in its effect, far more common Blank (ii): eases, conveys, entails Blank (iii): permanent, arduous, immediate

2 Explanations

anik alam

why entails should be in the second blank?

Dec 19, 2015 • Comment

Adam

Hi Anik,

The second blank is talking about how the act of repressing memories requires effort (it requires "will", since it is "willed forgetting."

The only word that means something like "require" is "entail." If we say something "entails" effort, that means that it takes/requires effort.

If we choose either of the other words, we don't get a meaning that makes sense here:

In spite of the effort that it eases...

Well, this sentence isn't saying that repressing memories "eases" any effort -- again, we know that it is an act of will.

In spite of the effort that it conveys...

This could make sense, but nowhere in the sentence are we told that repressing memories conveys, or communicates to someone else, any effort. The sentence never mentions communication of effort from one person to another.

Dec 22, 2015 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Dec 2, 2012 • Comment

Vivek Sethia

I do understand the solution but still I can't understand why the first blank can't be "less controlled". The line following first blank says that "In spite of effort that it (repressed memory) entails", this clearly means that there is some amount of effort (or in this case control) required to execute this, whereas true forgetting just happens. I also understand that repressed memories are prone to come back but that doesn't mean that repression doesn't require control or effort.

Feb 24, 2014 • Reply

Lucas Fink, Magoosh Tutor

It sounds like there might be some confusion about "control" and "effort" in this sentence, Vaibhav: the two aren't synonymous. Effort is how hard you try to do something; control is how able you are to affect the result. The sentence tells us that repressed memories are both more difficult (=higher effort) and HARDER to control (~less control) because they come back even when they're unwanted.

Feb 27, 2014 • Reply

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh