Source: Revised GRE PDF 1st Ed. Section 3: Verbal; #8 (p. 52)

The question of (i) in photography has lately become

The question of (i) in photography has lately become nontrivial. Prices for vintage prints (those made by a photographer soon after he or she made the negative) so drastically (ii) in the 1990s that one of these photographs might fetch a hundred times as much as a nonvintage print of the same image. It was perhaps only a matter of time before someone took advantage of the (iii) to peddle newly created “vintage” prints for profit. Blank (i): forgery, influence, style Blank (ii): ballooned, weakened, varied Blank (iii): discrepancy, ambiguity, duplicity

3 Explanations

Divya Amarnath

Hi,Please convince me as why "duplicity " will not a part of the 3rd blank?

Feb 20, 2015 • Comment

Jonathan , Magoosh Tutor

Hi Divya,
Although the passage is indeed talking about the idea of duplicity -- selling a fake painting is certainly a kind of duplicity -- duplicity doesn't fit in the final blank.

Forgers are taking advantage of _____. What are they are they taking advantage of? They are taking advantage of the difference, the discrepancy in prices. They are not taking advantage of duplicity -- they are ENGAGING in a kind of duplicity, they it does not make sense to say that are taking advantage/utilizing the "duplicity." What they are taking advantage of is the discrepancy.

I hope that clarifies.

Feb 23, 2015 • Reply

Wang stevenstatistic@163.com

what does "made the negative" mean in this sentence?

Aug 19, 2014 • Comment

Kevin Rocci, Magoosh Tutor

Hi Liu, this is term related to photography. I recommend looking up the definition of "negative" as a noun using www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/. I think that will help you understand the word and the phrase. :D

Aug 20, 2014 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Sep 25, 2012 • Comment

Taylor Ray

Why is "discrepancy" better than "ambiguity" in the final blank?

May 26, 2014 • Reply

Lucas Fink, Magoosh Tutor

If we look at the sentence, we get a bit of context that helps. Somebody is taking advantage of the ____ by selling fake vintage photos. What are they taking advantage of, then, and what could "the _____" refer back to? It is definitely linked to something said earlier.

Well, earlier in the text, we see this:

"One of these photographs might fetch a hundred times as much as a nonvintage print of the same image."

That's what the ______ refers to. "Discrepancy" is a good description of that situation: there's a major discrepancy between the prices of vintage and nonvintage prints.

"Ambiguity," on the other hand, isn't mentioned in the text. Maybe, you might say, it's ambiguous whether a print is vintage or not. And that might be true, but we don't know that. It's not represented in the passage. On the other hand, a discrepancy definitely is mentioned.

Jun 6, 2014 • Reply

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh