Source: Revised GRE PDF 1st Ed. Section 3: Verbal; #8 (p. 52)

The question of (i) in photography has lately become

The question of (i) in photography has lately become nontrivial. Prices for vintage prints (those made by a photographer soon after he or she made the negative) so drastically (ii) in the 1990s that one of these photographs might fetch a hundred times as much as a nonvintage print of the same image. It was perhaps only a matter of time before someone took advantage of the (iii) to peddle newly created “vintage” prints for profit. Blank (i): forgery, influence, style Blank (ii): ballooned, weakened, varied Blank (iii): discrepancy, ambiguity, duplicity

5 Explanations

Ujjwal Prazapati

How does the the line - '"newly created 'vintage' prints" proves duplicity.
As per the definition of vintage print=>it is something which is created just after the negative so it's obvious that a vintage print is going to be new?

Sep 7, 2019 • Comment

David Recine, Magoosh Tutor

Great question, Ujjwal. What's important to remember here is that the while the vintage print is created right after the photo is taken, the photo itself may have been taken a long time ago. For example, if a photo was taken in 1950, the vintage print that was released immediately after would be quite old.

It also helps to recognize that in general everyday use, "vintage" means "old." This can help you understand that in this context, a "vintage" print is the oldest possible print. Even if a vintage print is relatively new, all the other prints that come after it will be even newer!

Sep 14, 2019 • Reply

Mani rahul Zallipalli

It's mentioned in the first sentence that forgery has recently become non-trivial. So there might be ambiguity between the original and the forged one, and one might take advantage of this ambiguity.

Aug 26, 2019 • Comment

David Recine, Magoosh Tutor

I can see your logic there, since forgeries are often ambiguously different from the original. However, a truly skilled forgery-- the kind that could be successfully sold for a nice profit-- might be identical to the original in every meaningful way, in which case there's arguably no ambiguity. In other words, forgery could become non-trivial-- more significant-- because the forgeries are not ambiguously different, and don't seem different at all.

In addition, someone who makes a forgery creates ambiguity rather than taking advantage of it. The outside factor that a forger is taking advantage of is more likely to be discrepancy-- a discrepancy in price between original and newer prints that makes a fake original sell for such a significant profit.

Aug 26, 2019 • Reply

Divya Amarnath

Hi,Please convince me as why "duplicity " will not a part of the 3rd blank?

Feb 20, 2015 • Comment

Jonathan , Magoosh Tutor

Hi Divya,
Although the passage is indeed talking about the idea of duplicity -- selling a fake painting is certainly a kind of duplicity -- duplicity doesn't fit in the final blank.

Forgers are taking advantage of _____. What are they are they taking advantage of? They are taking advantage of the difference, the discrepancy in prices. They are not taking advantage of duplicity -- they are ENGAGING in a kind of duplicity, they it does not make sense to say that are taking advantage/utilizing the "duplicity." What they are taking advantage of is the discrepancy.

I hope that clarifies.

Feb 23, 2015 • Reply

Wang stevenstatistic@163.com

what does "made the negative" mean in this sentence?

Aug 19, 2014 • Comment

Kevin Rocci, Magoosh Tutor

Hi Liu, this is term related to photography. I recommend looking up the definition of "negative" as a noun using www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/. I think that will help you understand the word and the phrase. :D

Aug 20, 2014 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Sep 25, 2012 • Comment

Taylor Ray

Why is "discrepancy" better than "ambiguity" in the final blank?

May 26, 2014 • Reply

Lucas Fink, Magoosh Tutor

If we look at the sentence, we get a bit of context that helps. Somebody is taking advantage of the ____ by selling fake vintage photos. What are they taking advantage of, then, and what could "the _____" refer back to? It is definitely linked to something said earlier.

Well, earlier in the text, we see this:

"One of these photographs might fetch a hundred times as much as a nonvintage print of the same image."

That's what the ______ refers to. "Discrepancy" is a good description of that situation: there's a major discrepancy between the prices of vintage and nonvintage prints.

"Ambiguity," on the other hand, isn't mentioned in the text. Maybe, you might say, it's ambiguous whether a print is vintage or not. And that might be true, but we don't know that. It's not represented in the passage. On the other hand, a discrepancy definitely is mentioned.

Jun 6, 2014 • Reply

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh