Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 4; Set 1; #6

As my eyesight began to , I spent

As my eyesight began to , I spent a lot of time writing about it—both poems and “eye journals”—describing what I saw as I looked out through damaged eyes. deteriorate, sharpen, improve, decline, recover, adjust

4 Explanations

Rajesh John

How could he write with a damaged eyes ? Or did the writer finished his entire writing just as the last bit of visible light disappeared ?
Does'nt "saw" means simple past, so it's a past event.

Apr 4, 2017 • Comment

So, this entire statement is in past tense. In the past, his eyes were getting worse, and as they got worse, he wrote about what he saw. His eyes were damaged, but he wasn't yet blind. Therefore, he could still write. Indeed, I can imagine that someone who is completely blind could still write — just not with exceptionally legible handwriting. Also, note that this sentence isn't talking about the external light fading — it's his eyes that are damaged.

Apr 4, 2017 • Reply

i also thought the same that his eyes could be recovering but it is mentioned that
"I spent a lot of time writing about it".
a person who has less time will spend a lot of time doing some activity as it might be his last.
If he was recovering from the damage he certainly would have enough time to write and he wont spend a lot of time doing that activity.

Sep 1, 2015 • Comment

Elliot Kim

"As my eyesight began to _____, I spent a lot of time writing about it--both poems and "eye journals"--describing what I saw as I looked out through damaged eyes."

Both the Answer Key and your answer automatically assume the narrator's eyes are getting worse, but nothing in the question and answer choices eliminates the possibility that this person's eyes could be getting better.

For example, how are these 2 answer choices--C: Improve, E: Recover--eliminated by "damaged eyes" in context? All we know is that the narrator had "damaged eyes" at some point. That's it.

Nov 15, 2012 • Comment

Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Hmm...I guess you have a point. He could have had a horrible accident that temporarily blinded him. Now his eyes are recovering and he is writing about it.

At the same time, I think the 'damaged eyes' part is important. Even if his eyesight has been severely compromised, yet is recovering, I'm not sure he would call his eyes 'damaged.' Maybe he would say something more along the lines of 'recovering eyes.'

I know that is not an ironclad basically, this TC is not the best question on ETS's part :(.

Nov 17, 2012 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 3, 2012 • Comment

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh