Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 4; Set 1; #8

Modern agricultural practices have been extremely successful

Modern agricultural practices have been extremely successful in increasing the productivity of major food crops, yet despite heavy use of pesticides, losses to diseases and insect pests are sustained each year. incongruous, reasonable, significant, considerable, equitable, fortuitous

2 Explanations

Bilal Farooq

Hi, can you explain to me what the meaning of this sentence is? I mean I got this question correct, but what are they trying to say exactly?

Sep 10, 2016 • Comment

Cydney Seigerman, Magoosh Tutor

Hi Bilal :)

Happy to help! First the sentence says that "modern agriculture" (e.g. the use of pesticides, fertilizers, and modern machinery) has increased the amount of crops that is produced. The sentence goes on to say that, on the other hand, even though lots of pesticides are used (to try to prevent crop death due to insects/diseases), a lot of crops still die due to these diseases and insect pests.

Hope that helps! :)

Sep 14, 2016 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 3, 2012 • Comment

Susan Shen

Why not incongruous? it matches perfectly in my opinion with the transition "yet despite"; hereby showing that the losses to disease and pests are not congruous with the amount of pesticides used?

Nov 7, 2015 • Reply

Adam

Hi Susan,

>Modern agricultural practices have been extremely successful in increasing the productivity of major food crops, yet despite heavy use of pesticides, _____ losses to diseases and insect pests are sustained each year.

As you noted, we have a shift (despite), and so we are looking for a word that indicates that even though there is a heavy use of pesticides, there are still *major* crop losses. "Significant" and "considerable" thus work best.

There are a couple of problems with "incongruous." First, it has no similar word among the answer choices. Remember that with SE questions, the correct answer choices must create two sentences that mean the same thing. "Incongruous losses" is not the same as "significant" or "considerable" losses.

Secondly, saying that the losses were "incongruous" doesn't mean that they are incongruous *with regard to the amount of pesticides used.* It just means they are incongruous, but it wouldn't say in relation to what they are incongruous. So, this word doesn't make sense here.

Nov 11, 2015 • Reply

Shefali Lachhar

Thanks Adam. It was helpful. :)

Mar 13, 2016 • Reply

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh