Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 4; Set 3; #2

Like Béla Bartók, Ruth Crawford not only brought

Like Béla Bartók, Ruth Crawford not only brought a composer’s acumen to the notation of folk music, she also had a marked (i) the task. This was clear in her agonizing over how far to try to represent the minute details of a performance in a written text, and this (ii) makes her work a landmark in ethnomusicology. Blank (i): reverence for, detachment from, curiosity about Blank (ii): fastidiousness, didacticism, iconoclasm

2 Explanations

Wesley Y Tian

When I’m really curious about something, this is exactly how I feel: It's not just that she pays attention to detail, it's that she's killing herself trying to get it right.

Aug 29, 2019 • Comment

David Recine, Magoosh Tutor

Nice paraphrase of the sentence, Wesley! :)

Sep 13, 2019 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 4, 2012 • Comment

Sunmeet Singh Sethi

Hi Chris,
Why can't noting down every minute detail be associated as curiosity about something? Being curious about something is knowing every detail about that thing and mentioning it down in form of text. Hence, I went ahead with C and not A. Please explain.

Jun 30, 2019 • Reply

Adam Lyons, Magoosh Tutor

Hey Sunmeet,
Curiosity doesn't have to do with knowing a lot of detail. Actually quite the opposite. A supreme court justice is not curious about the law, because they already know every detail. And a professional athlete is not curious about their sport: they already know everything about it. More importantly, though, curiosity would not put Ruth Crawford in agony. It's not just that she pays attention to detail, it's that she's killing herself trying to get it right. And that fits more with reverence than curiosity.

Jul 8, 2019 • Reply

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh