Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 4; Set 3; #3

Political advertising may well be the most

Political advertising may well be the most (i) kind of advertising: political candidates are usually quite (ii), yet their campaign advertisements often hide important differences behind smoke screens of smiles and empty slogans. Blank (i): polemical, effective, deceptive Blank (ii): interchangeable, dissimilar, vocal

3 Explanations

Jorge Isaac Cordero Enriquez

Hi,

The last part "hide important differences behind smoke screens and empty slogans" implies that people do not notice the differences between candidates, which Adam confirms by saying " It doesn't matter that there are differences, because they are hidden: people don't see the differences".

If people do not see the differences, wouldn't the political candidates seem similar to the people, and therefore interchangeable?

Thanks

Aug 6, 2017 • Comment

Adam

Hi Jorge! The candidates may appear to be interchangeable, but there's a contrast in this sentence between what the candidates actually are and how they appear:

political candidates are usually quite (ii), yet their campaign advertisements often hide important differences behind smoke screens of smiles and empty slogans.

There's a shift signaled by "yet". The second part of the sentence says that the differences are hidden. Therefore, the first part should say something about how there are differences.

If we said that the candidates were in fact all the same, then it wouldn't make sense to say that the ads hide important differences, since there would not be differences to hide.

Aug 21, 2017 • Reply

Kanishk patel

As the last part of the question says that" hide important differences...... empty slogans" and there is a sentence shifter "yet" so according to me "vocal" can also be an answer as the political campaigns hide important differences but still candidates express themselves vocally or say freely to the people.. .. where does "different" fit? how does the second part infer that they are different i dont get it?

May 23, 2017 • Comment

Adam

Hi Kanishk,

We're told that the campaign ads hide important differences. It doesn't matter that there are differences, because they are hidden: people don't see the differences.

Therefore, the candidates are dissimilar, yet these differences are hidden.

There would be no contrast if we chose "vocal" this would say that the candidates are vocal, but the differences are hidden. Just because the candidates are vocal doesn't mean that they're different or similar. It doesn't relate to the fact that the ads hide their differences.

Both candidates could be vocal and still not reveal that they're different. Or they could be vocal and reveal that they're different even though these differences are hidden in the ads. It's all very unclear.

I hope that helps!

May 24, 2017 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 4, 2012 • Comment

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh