Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 4; Set 3; #5

Statements presented as fact in a patent application

Statements presented as fact in a patent application are (i) unless a good reason for doubt is found. The invention has only to be deemed “more likely than not” to work in order to receive initial approval. And, although thousands of patents are challenged in court for other reasons, no incentive exists for anyone to expend effort (ii) the science of an erroneous patent. For this reason the endless stream of (iii) devices will continue to yield occasional patents. Blank (i): presumed verifiable, carefully scrutinized, considered capricious Blank (ii): corroborating, advancing, debunking Blank (iii): novel, bogus, obsolete

1 Explanation

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 5, 2012 • Comment

jishu kumar dey

here author said that 'thousands of patents are challenged in court" is not it enough for choosing the 3rd blank "bogus"?

Jul 7, 2016 • Reply

Hi Jishu :)

Happy to help! The correct answer is (H) bogus. For this blank, we're looking for a word with a similar meaning as phony to describe devices that don't work. The second sentence tells us that there isn't much motivation for people to challenge these erroneous patents, which suggests that some such bogus devices will continue to get patents.

I hope this helps clear up your doubts! :)

Jul 18, 2016 • Reply

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh