Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 4; Set 4; #1

The author of the passage suggests that A

The author of the passage suggests that A Dream falls short in which of the following respects? I enjoyed A Dream of Light & Shadow: Portraits of Latin American Women Writers for the same reasons that, as a child, I avidly consumed womens biographies: the fascination with how the biographical details of another females life are represented and interpreted. A Dream offers a rich read, varied in both the lives and texts of the women portrayed, and the perspectives and styles of the sixteen essayists. Yet, as an adult, I have come to demand of any really great book a self-consciousness about the tenuous nature of representations of reality, a critical contextualization of florid detail, and a self-awareness of the role of ideology in our lives. In these critical senses, A Dream is 10 inadequate. It does not appear to recognize that representations of reality can be unreliable., It seems to focus on stylistic variety at the expense of accuracy of detail., It offers a wealth of detail without sufficient critical examination of that detail.

3 Explanations

Anmol Dwivedi

Is "unreliable" being used similar in meaning to "tenuous" in the passage?

Aug 11, 2018 • Comment

Sam Kinsman, Magoosh Tutor

Yes, it is! That's why answer choice A is correct :)

Aug 16, 2018 • Reply

Pabitra Kumar Sardar

Can you please explain the the option A of the question 1..? Need to understand what this sentence actually means.

Jul 23, 2017 • Comment

Adam

Hi Pabitra,

It does not appear to recognize that representations of reality can be unreliable.

This means that the book "A Dream..." does not acknowledge that the details in a biography may not be 100% true. The text refers to "the tenuous nature of representations of reality..." which means that anytime someone tries to recreate reality in a book (such as a biography), they cannot succeed perfectly.

Jul 27, 2017 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 5, 2012 • Comment

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh