Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 4; Set 5; #8

Overlarge, uneven, and ultimately disappointing, the retrospective exhibition

Overlarge, uneven, and ultimately disappointing, the retrospective exhibition seems too much like special pleading for a forgotten painter of real but talents. limited, partial, undiscovered, circumscribed, prosaic, hidden

4 Explanations

Ankur Sharma

from your explanation above-
"There is no reason to assume that the blank should contrast with these words. We don't have a shift or contrast word in this sentence, so we have to choose words that agree with this idea that the exhibition was not that great"

is this always follow? means if we have shift word then the idea will change, otherwise, it will follow the same pattern. right ?

Oct 23, 2017 • Comment

Adam

Hi Ankur,
Yes, that's true. Contrasts or shifts in TCs will always be indicated by shift words or phrases. Of course, these can become quite subtle, but most of the time they're quite clear. You can read more about these here:
https://magoosh.com/gre/2015/shift-words-and-phrases-on-the-gre/

Oct 24, 2017 • Reply

VAIBHAV KHOBRAGADE

i couldn't get this question "Overlarge, uneven, and ultimately disappointing". why we can not select hidden/ Undiscovered.

Sep 6, 2016 • Comment

Adam

Hi,

These three words that describe the exhibition are all negative. That implies that the artists aren't very good, not that they are hidden or undiscovered. Thus we should choose words that describe the artists as not very good.

Sep 6, 2016 • Reply

Rajat Kathuria

Aren't the first three words modifying 'exhibition'; essentially, implying that delayed ('retrospective'?!) event is to honour the artist. If yes, why is it incorrect to interpret the blank as something positive for the painter e.g. Hidden/undiscovered?

Dec 25, 2013 • Comment

Kevin Rocci, Magoosh Tutor

Hi Rajat! I can see where you got a little confused. First off, "retrospective" doesn't mean "delayed." It merely means looking back at an artists work. (Here is a more official definition:"an exhibition or compilation showing the development of the work of a particular artist over a period of time").

Next, you are correct that those first three words are modifying exhibition and those three words are pretty negative. There is no reason to assume that the blank should contrast with these words. We don't have a shift or contrast word in this sentence, so we have to choose words that agree with this idea that the exhibition was not that great. The writer seems to imply that the expectations for the exhibition were high, and the actual exhibition was pretty disappointing.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more of an explanation. :)

Dec 28, 2013 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 6, 2012 • Comment

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh