Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 8; Section 3; #5

In her later years, Bertha Pappenheim was

In her later years, Bertha Pappenheim was an apostle of noble but already (i) notions, always respected for her integrity, her energy, and her resolve but increasingly out of step and ultimately (ii) even her own organization. Blank (i): anachronistic, accepted, exotic Blank (ii): emulated by, appreciated by, alienated from

4 Explanations

Navneet Kumar

Can you please explain the structure of the sentence here? Do we have a parallel 'cause' created : (+ but - , + but -) followed by an 'effect' of her being alienated from the organization?

Dec 10, 2017 • Comment

David Recine, Magoosh Tutor

We don't really have any direct cause and effect relationships here.

There is certainly the suggestion of possible cause and effect, though. It seems possible that BP's "anachronistic" ideas caused her to become alienated from here own organization.

If that's the case, we have a cause of BP having anachronistic attitudes, and the effect of her becoming "increasingly out of step" and "alienated."

This cause-effect relationship is strongly implied, but it's not really the key to solving this Verbal problem. Instead, you want to focus on the two shift words-- the two buts-- in terms of what the connotation of the words are before the shift words and after them.

Jan 15, 2018 • Reply

Bowen Chen

Could you explain why exotic doesn't work? I'm still kind of lost

Jul 31, 2016 • Comment

Cydney Seigerman, Magoosh Tutor

Happy to clarify :)

While exotic means "strikingly strange or unusual," the term doesn't necessarily describe something negative. An exotic landscape, for example, may be beautiful but unfamiliar to the person viewing it.

On the other hand, for the first blank, we want a word that describes a negative characteristic that led to the estrangement or isolation of Pappenheim. We can imagine that having "anachronistic" ideas, or ideas that belong to a different time, would lead to Pappenheim to be out of touch with those in her organization, isolating her from it.

Hope this helps!

Aug 2, 2016 • Reply

Jongyun Jung

Could you explain about apostle of noble?
How may I come up first blank with negative words in it?

Aug 19, 2015 • Comment

Jonathan , Magoosh Tutor

Hi Jongyun,
Here is the definition of "apostle."

She is a supporter of noble (good) but "-----" notions. The "but" is one hint that we want something that is negative. We also know that she is "increasingly out of step" (not in harmony with something). So we want a word that means "out of step." I hope this helps.

Aug 31, 2015 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 9, 2012 • Comment

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh