Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 8; Section 3; #17

The most striking thing about the politician

The most striking thing about the politician is how often his politics have been (i) rather than ideological, as he adapts his political positions at any particular moment to the political realities that constrain him. He does not, however, piously (ii) political principles only to betray them in practice. Rather, he attempts in subtle ways to balance his political self-interest with a (iii), viewing himself as an instrument of some unchanging higher purpose. Blank (i): quixotic, self-righteous, strategic Blank (ii): brandish, flout, follow Blank (iii): profound cynicism, deeply felt moral code, thoroughgoing pragmatism

2 Explanations

Hugo Zhang

I have a question about the third blank. To make it clear, I'm going to first rewrite this portion: Rather, he attempts in subtle ways to balance his political self-interest with a ______ viewing himself as an instrument of some unchanging higher purpose. What is confounding to me is that the clue is definetely " unchanging higher purpose", but let's look at the phrase " political self-interest". I think " political self-interest " here means his initial purpose or his ideological political principles. Because it says " self-interest" which, I think, stands for his own thought. Since the sentence says he can balance his " ideological politcs " with a __________, we can fill in this blank with the clue given above: He adapts his politcial positions at any particular moment to the political realities that constrain him. The blank should be something related to political realites that constrain him, which makes me select the answer choice (I), "thoroughgoing pragmastism". Would you please explain it for me? I appreciate your help. : )

Aug 17, 2016 • Comment

Adam

Hi Hugo,

I think you're conflating the terms "adapts" and "balances." The politician adapts his moral code to political realities. He also balances these two things.

Second, "self-interest" is not the same thing as "personal thought." Self-interest is closer to "self-preservation," or, in this case, preservation of one's job (as a politician).

"Political self-interest" refers to the fact that if politicians do not adapt his ideals to reality, they will fail as a politician — they'll lose their jobs.

Thus they balance their self-interest (i.e. keeping their job) with their moral code. These two things, which are often opposed, must be balanced.

Sep 2, 2016 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 9, 2012 • Comment

Hanna Sndier

I was looking at the second blank and thinking "tout" when I read "flout". Oops! Thanks.

May 2, 2014 • Reply

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh