Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 8; Section 4; #11

What readers most commonly remember about John

What readers most commonly remember about John Stuart Mill’s classic exploration of the liberty of thought and discussion concerns the danger of (i): in the absence of challenge, one’s opinions, even when they are correct, grow weak and flabby. Yet Mill had another reason for encouraging the liberty of thought and discussion: the danger of partiality and incompleteness. Since one’s opinions, even under the best circumstances, tend to (ii), and because opinions opposed to one’s own rarely turn out to be completely (iii), it is crucial to supplement one’s opinions with alternative points of view. Blank (i): tendentiousness, complacency, fractiousness Blank (ii): embrace only a portion of the truth, change over time, focus on matters close at hand Blank (iii): erroneous, antithetical, immutable

3 Explanations

nirmal aditya priyan

i cannot able to comprehend the third blank

Sep 3, 2017 • Comment

Adam

Hi Nirmal,

We have a cause and effect situation here, that works like this:

opinions opposed to ones own rarely turn out to be completely _________. (In other words: opinions that don't agree with yours are usually not completely ______)

Therefore,

it is crucial to supplement ones opinions with alternative points of view.

Well, if it's important to take alternative points of view into account, then it must be that those alternative points of view are valuable or correct, at least some of the time. Therefore, the best choice is "erroneous": opinions opposed to one's own are usually NOT completely erroneous, or false.

Sep 5, 2017 • Reply

Adam

Hi Molly,

The problem with "antithetical" is that the blank is referring to the "opinions opposed to one's own," whereas "antithetical" would be referring to the relationship between those opinions and one's own.

In other words, we can say "your opinions are antithetical to mine," but we can't say simply "your opinions are antithetical."

Nov 7, 2015 • Comment

Hugo Zhang

Hi Adam, I also have a question on answer choice "antithetical". Here is my understanding about the 3rd blank: Because the sentence mentions " opinions opposed to one's own", I think this is saying that If I assert one opinion and I oppose to my opinion on my own effort, the objection can rarely turn out to be completely against my opinion, becasue of the partiality in my heart mentioned above. So the last sentence says: It is crucial to supplement one's opinions with alternative points of view, which means we should take alternative points of views provided by other people. This is why I choice answer choice (H). Why can't we understand this sentence in this way? Actually when I was doing this test, the above was my real thinking process. Could you help me?

Aug 17, 2016 • Reply

Adam

Hi Hugo,

It's a grammar issue. The word "antithetical" must be followed by "to... something."

You wrote:

the objection can rarely turn out to be completely against my opinion

You followed "against" with "my opinion." The same goes for the use of "antithetical": we could write "and because opinions opposed to one’s own rarely turn out to be completely TO OUR OWN [opinions]." That's correct.

But without the object "[to] our own [opinions]," it's incorrect.

Sep 2, 2016 • Reply

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 10, 2012 • Comment

molly xiao

Why 'antithetical' in the third blank is not a correct choice? If the opposed opinions were rarely completely antithetical, then those opinions could supplement one's own opinions because they are not exactly opposed to each other. Another reason is that perhaps 'antithetical' focuses more on the relationship between those opinions than 'erroneous' which only indicates one side is wrong.

Oct 10, 2015 • Reply

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh