Source: Official Guide Revised GRE 1st Ed. Part 6; Set 3; #15

The range of the heights of the female

The range of the heights of the female students in a certain class is 13.2 inches, and the range of the heights of the male students in the class is 15.4 inches. Which of the following statements individually provide(s) sufficient additional information to determine the range of the heights of all the students in the class? Indicate all such statements. The tallest male student in the class is 5.8 inches taller than the tallest female student in the class., The median height of the male students in the class is 1.1 inches greater than the median height of the female students in the class.,The average (arithmetic mean) height of the male students in the class is 4.6 inches greater than the average height of the female students in the class.

3 Explanations

Erfan Chowdhury

Why can't I see the video?

Sep 16, 2016 • Comment

Cydney Seigerman, Magoosh Tutor

Hi Erfran,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues viewing the video explanation! Your browser might be forcing https, which prevents our embedded YouTube videos from properly loading. To get around this, just make sure your URL starts with "http" rather than "https". If that doesn't work, you may want to go to YouTube directly to watch the explanations :)

Hope this helps!

Sep 18, 2016 • Reply

ABHIJEET GAUTAM

Emphasizing on answer A. - I would use proportional lines here. Using L1 and L2 to represent the ranges of females and males.

Assuming, for starters,shortest female is equal in height to the shortest mail.
L1 |=============| -> Females
L2 |========|==== |===| -> Males
....|-----9.6---- |--3.6--|-2.2|

Considering option A.

Since Tallest Male - Tallest Female = 5.8 and the length 13.2 is same for Females and males, shifting the line for males such that the line is 5.8 ahead of line for females, following is the only possible position.

L1 |=============| -> Females
L2............|========|==== |===| -> Males
...............|.......9.6......|..3.6...|.2.2..|
..................................|........5.8.....|
Thus A gives sufficient information to ascertain the range of both the sets combined.

Aug 10, 2013 • Comment

Gravatar Chris Lele, Magoosh Tutor

Oct 8, 2012 • Comment

bhavini jain

In option A, what if shortest person was male instead of female, the the range would be different as in equal to 15.4 only? so does getting 2 answers make an option correct?

May 29, 2017 • Reply

Cydney Seigerman, Magoosh Tutor

Hi Bhavini! Happy to help :) Initially, we're not told anything about the relationship between the shortest male and female. However, based on the information in (A), we see that the shortest person would be female in this case. There is only one way for the tallest male to be 5.8" taller than the tallest female, while the tallest female is 13.2" taller than the shortest female.

If we let f represents the shortest female, then

shortest male = f + 13.2 + 5.8 - 15.4 = f + 3.6
tallest female = f + 13.2
tallest male = f + 13.2 + 5.8 = f + 19

So, the range of heights of the entire class is 19.

I hope this helps :)

Jun 7, 2017 • Reply

Meera Gandhi

How does option A explain to us that the shortest girl is shorter than the shortest boy? I'm still not catching that...I understand what you did above, but I'm not understanding how you can tell from option A!

Feb 21, 2018 • Reply

Sam Kinsman, Magoosh Tutor

Hi Meera,

A good way to see how this works is to plug in some numbers. Let's say that the tallest woman in the class is 70 inches tall. (To keep things simple, we'll just use feet, and no inches).

A says that "the tallest male student in the class is 5.8 inches taller than the tallest female student in the class." This means that the tallest male student would be 70 + 5.8 = 75.8 inches tall.

We know that the range of the heights of the male students in the class is 15.4 inches, so the shortest male student is 75.8 - 15.4 = 60.4 inches tall.

Now let's think about the women again. The tallest female is 70 inches tall, and the range of the heights of the female students is 13.2 inches. So the shortest female is 70 - 13.2 = 56.8 inches tall.

So we can see that the shortest woman (56.8 in) is shorter than the shortest man (60.4 in).

You can try this with your own numbers - the result will always be that the shortest woman is shorter than the shortest man.

Mar 1, 2018 • Reply

Add Your Explanation

You must have a Magoosh account in order to leave an explanation.

Learn More About Magoosh